Monday, November 24, 2008

Remote control... maybe?

I was going through some old bookmarks and I saw some I made for my PVR project. I thought I'd browse for an update to the issue with the picoLCD module receiving IR signals but not sending them to Myth, which I first mention here. Essentially, there is a Linux package that is built for receiving and processing IR control codes, but because the lcdproc daemon doesn't know what to do with them (it's an LCD panel driver after all), the codes just don't go anywhere.

Well, there is some good news. Someone with a lot more smarts about this has been working on the solution, patching lcdproc to hand off the IR codes from a picoLCD module to a daemon that is written for IR codes, LIRC. This could make my MythTV box truly "feature complete" at last.

It may be time to finally get the box working again. It unfortunately has been off for several months now, as it was no longer getting any network connectivity. I'm hoping it's just a function of the network cord not holding up to the strain of running vertically about six feet from the box to the hub, holding itself up by its own connector; and not a function of the box running so hot that it fried its own network adapter (that little box does run very hot, even when idle). Without a network connection, it's not very useful — no network, no schedules; no schedules, no recording.

2 comments:

r2evans said...

I just got a picoLCD 20x4 USB device. The lcdproc source downloaded from mini-box.com seems to compile just fine and does reset the LCD display. Unfortunately, I only get a single character in the upper left in addition to the heartbeat in the upper right of the screen. Granted, it's a change of the display which means LCDproc is talking to it, but it's still not what mythtv normally shows (it worked just fine with an old irtrans display).

Any thoughts what would cause it to display an empty screen using mythlcdserver and LCDd?

Yakko Warner said...

Unfortunately not. I'm getting similar results on my picoLCD 20x2. A single vertical bar character in the upper left. The cursor keys seem to work as before, at least, though.

When I play a video, I get a default screen, with a heartbeat icon and a readout of number of clients attached. Cursor keys don't work at all, and pretty much nothing works until the video is finished.

When a recording is in progress, I do get a progress bar and a clock, as normal, but when the recording is finished, the message "Recording" and a full progress bar remains on the display.

I'm not savvy enough to diagnose exactly what's going on here, but yeah, it's definitely not interacting with MythTV like it used to.

I haven't tried the remote control relay function yet, though; I've been really lazy at finding a control code set and configuring LIRCd, which was kind of the whole point of this experiment...